P. L. 2017, c. 128.
The Property Taxpayer Bill of Rights ensures that: 1) All property taxpayers are accorded the basic rights of fair and equitable treatment under the State Constitution and laws of New Jersey; 2) All property taxpayers receive the information and assistance they need to understand and meet their property tax responsibilities.
Services to Property Taxpayers
As a property taxpayer, you have the right to obtain information explained in simple, nontechnical terms about:
- Your responsibilities and rights as a property owner and property taxpayer;
- Your real property assessment and how it is determined and calculated;
- Your right to appeal and how to appeal an assessment you believe is incorrect as to your property or as to another property in the same county and the time limits involved;
- Your right, in the context of a property tax appeal, to view the property record card of other real property in the municipality;
- Responsiveness You have the right to expect questions will be responded to within a reasonable amount of time;
- Statements and Notices You have the right to expect all notices you receive will clearly identify the purpose of the communication and the proper procedure when responding;
For More Information - Many Local Property Tax forms and publications are available on the State of New Jersey, Department of Treasury, Division of Taxation website.