Borough Clerk's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


 If I want to speak to the Mayor and Council in person, how do I get on the agenda?

Both the Work Session and Regular Meeting are opened to the public for comments, and both meetings start at 7:30 pm.  It is difficult to say what time you will be given an opportunity to speak, that would depend on the complexity of the agenda 

 How often is there a meeting of the Mayor and Council?

There is a Work Session and Regular Session of the Mayor &Council on the first and third Tuesday of the month.  Meetings start at 7:30 pm, Work Session in the Conference Room and Regular Session in the Council Chamber.  The public is invited to attend.

 How do I get a Mail-In Ballot?

The Clerk’s office can provide you with a Mail-In Ballot application which you mail to the County Clerk’s office.  On that application you must indicate where you want your ballot to be mailed.  The County Clerk must receive the application at least seven days prior to the election.  If you applied for an absentee ballot you will not be allowed to vote at your normal polling place. Click here to obtain an application for a Vote by Mail Ballot (Mail-In Ballot) found on our Forms/Applications page.

 How do I declare or change my political affilation?

If you are an undeclared voter you may declare your party affilation at the polling place during a Primary Election.  If you were previously a member of a party and wish to change that party affilation you must do that with a “change of party” card that is available in the office of the Municipal Clerk.  That card must be received in the County of Bergen 50 days prior to the Primary Election.

 What is the purpose to licensing pets?

To avoid the spread of rabies.  An additional benefit of licensing your pets is that having a license helps to return them to their owners if they are lost. 

 When must dogs and cats be licensed?

  • Dogs licenses are renewed during the month of March.
  • Cat licenses are renewed during the month July. 

    However, licenses for new pets can be obtained in the Borough Clerk's office all year long.