Storms House

Built 1840
1069 Franklin Lake Road, Block 1205, Lot 6.01
Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417 

The Storms House was owned by William Storms in 1861. The “Bergen County Panorama” published in 1941 notes this house as one particular structural interest and dates its construction between 1750 and 1770 – possibly the house was built in 1840. The house has a dark stucco façade with raised quoins, has 3 bays, 2 rooms deep, center hall or center stair. Possibly it has a veranda as there is a form of water table in the front. The house has a gables roof with an eave overhang.


The house, while having been altered through the years, still retains a sufficient amount of its original fabric that it should be recognized and retained. Therefore, the Bergen County Historic Sites Survey for Franklin Lakes included the Storms House for its architectural significance, for its association with the exploration and settlement of the Bergen County area, and for its remaining historic fabric. As such it was included in the Thematic Nomination to the National Register of Historic Places for the Early Stone Houses of Bergen County, New Jersey.

In 1861 the house was owned by William Storms – as recognized in 1941. Cornelius Bush first recalls assessing the house in 1913. The owner at that time, a Mr. Littlefield, had stayed for only one year. When Mr. Bush assessed the house the windows were broken and the house was empty. Presumably, the house with its huge barn was bought by Mr. Freeman who made the Storms house his permanent home. It was his son, Forster W. Freeman Jr., whose recollections provided additional details about the history of the house and the immediate area.

According to Mr. Freeman Jr., when the Freemans first occupied the house, Colonial Road was only a wagon track with bushes growing in the center. A 90 year old man named Storms loved on a hill on Colonial road near the Crystal Lake Station. He told Mr. Freeman Jr. that he was the third generation born and married in this house. This would appear to date the Storms house back in actual memory by 200 years. Mr. Freeman Jr. also recalled that at one time the house had been used as a roadhouse since he helped his father remove the bar from the cellar, and found large cartwheel pennies under it.

Presently, the house is privately owned and occupied. It is in good condition but we do not know to what extent the interior of the house has been altered.e told Mr. Freeman Jr. that he was the third generation.

The following map references and recognition's are on file: 

  1. Hopkins-Corey (1861) William Storm
  2. Walker’s Atlas (1876) Sanford
  3. Bromley (1912) T. Freeman
  4. “Bergen County Panorama” (1941) suggesting post-Revolutionary construction 
    The Storms House was not listed on the Erskine Map.
National Registry #84002586