Calendar Cover


JC Blauvelt House
Jno. C. Blauvelt House
Built 1850
65 Pulis Avenue, Block 2705, Lot 6.01
Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417

The vernacular two story, three bay main house with attached three bay wing are the earlier sections of the Jno. C. Blauvelt house – section A and B. It is a significant remnant of the 19th and 20th century agricultural period of the Borough’s history when farm houses dotted the landscape. 

The house is divided into four sections. Sections A through C has clapboard Fenestration. Section A has a three-bay porch with square posts with spandrel brackets a double paneled entrance door with glazed tops and rectangular transom. An exterior chimney in the gable end is flanked with Quadrant vents. Section B has a three bay porch with spandrel brackets and an early vertical board door and hinges. The three bay windows as well as the eyebrow windows in the second story are replacement windows. Section B has a central chimney. Section C appears recent. Section D has a 6/6 window and a vertical board door, probably an early kitchen attached to the main house by section C in recent times. A frame well is located at the southeast of the house. A 2-car garage on the southwest side of the house is a recent addition. A small accessory building on the south side of the house is from an earlier period. Examples of this building type are also found in the nearby township of Wyckoff and elsewhere in Bergen County. Minor recent alterations and additions illustrate the evolution of this structure from a farmhouse to a modern suburban dwelling.


The Borough of Franklin Lakes lists the construction of the earliest sections of the Jno. C. Blauvelt house as 1850. Presently the house is privately owned and occupied.

The following references are mentioned:
1. Jno. C. Blauvelt – 1876
2. Rachael Blauvelt – 1902
3. R. B. Blauvelt – 1913

National Registry #85002590